10 Handy Household Tips
1) To minimise strong odours in the fridge, place a small container of baking or bicarbonate soda on a shelf in the fridge. The baking soda will absorb the odours.
This also applies to any unwanted smells on carpets, upholstery or bedding.
2) When mopping ceramic tiles, add about 1/2 cup of vinegar to the bucket of rinse water (little less than half full) this is an easy way to shine those tiles. Use same measurements of liquids for cleaning glass and windows with ordinary day newspaper. Dampen one piece of newspaper in solution to clean glass and a dry piece of newspaper for drying.
3) Ever noticed how hard it is to clean a cheese grater with a sponge? Try using a toothbrush with a flexible head For inside and outside grater, also great to clean those hard-to-reach corners. There are many uses around the house, RV and car for the discarded toothbrush. Try cleaning the grouting in tiles or around window frames were condensation can turn black. A toothbrush is also very useful for getting small stones and grit out of the soles of trainers to lessen floor damage. I have a friend who keeps all of her old toothbrushes for applying dye or bleach when doing her own or her daughters roots.
4) Donâ€™t ever let the humble household bleach become redundant. Bleach is a great, cheap and quick solution to kitchen and household bacteria. Once a week pour diluted bleach down the sink to kills germs that breed naturally there. Wipe kitchen surfaces from time to time with diluted bleach before going to bed. This will not only give a fresh clean smell in the morning but will get rid of smoking and animal odours etc and kill germs overnight.
5) A freezer runs more economically if it is full instead of half empty. Fill discarded plastic juice bottle and put them in the freezer (remember to leave room for expansion as water freezers) this will help to slow it down and work more efficiently.
6) Warning about plastic or foam-backed tablecloths. Using a plain plastic or foam-backed plastic tablecloth directly on a wood table with a polished finish can ruin the table. The plastic or foam can stick to the table, pulling up a plastic tablecloth that has been there for some time can leave patches on the polished surface. In this case, the remedy is to have the table re-polished. Only use plastic cloths with fabric or felt backing on wooden tables, or put a sheet or cloth over the table first.
7) Unclog a sink or shower drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar - Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water. To clean a toilet, drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean china and leaves it with a shine, difficult stains might need to be done twice.
8) To remove dried on food from inside your microwave, boil some water in a bowl for a couple of minutes. The steam loosens the dried on food.
9) Cut off the tops of cotton socks, fold over once to create a "cuff." Put on your wrists when washing & rinsing your face, or other similar activities to keep water from running down your arms leaving your sleeves all wet.. Also useful tips/idea when dying or bleaching roots or hair, bathing dog etc.
10) Did your puppy have an accident? Good tip.Sponge the area with a
solution of half white vinegar and half warm water. You may need to repeat the process.